Thursday, August 2, 2007

...but Scotland even more so

Edinburgh, Scotland...where do I even start? This place is amazing.
After a relaxing and fairly uneventful three days in Belfast we took a bus to the small seaside Irish town of Westport for a night. There, we visited a pub owned by a member of the Irish folk music group The Chieftans (Matt Malloy's) and met an entertaining middle aged couple who bought us Guinnesses and chatted for a bit. The husband (Willy) wanted to talk politics, but whenever she thought he was getting too opinionated, the wife (Kathy) would tactfully steer the conversation into what a good time we were going to have in Edinburgh...or the weather. According to Willy, the British have been occupying North Ireland since Cromwell, and the last of them just left that day. I haven't fact-checked, but if that's true, it's pretty amazing.

After several long bus rides, we flew from Dublin to Edinburgh, where we are enjoying the beginnings of the Fringe Festival. The improv group from Cal Poly performs there every other year (this isn't their year), and we just saw another improv troup this afternoon. If Sarah can convince me we will go see Sweeny Todd (it's expensive, but I really do want to see it!). My internet time is running out here, but we're off to look at the Queen's Palace! Cheers!

6 comments:

Emily said...

so i just got back from my little weekend trip and i miss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much:( I'm sure you're having fun and stuff but i've seriously never gone this long without talking to you and for some reason after seeing friends from school being back home seems lonely.

Haley said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! I miss you too. It's hard not to just be able to pick up the phone when I have something to tell you. How was SF? I'll see you really soon!

Anonymous said...

I know it's not going to mean the same thing as a sister, but I miss you too!

Haley said...

Aww Faith! I love you / miss you too :) I sent your family a postcard from Norway. It may take a while to get there. (P.S. I'm leaving London tomorrow...looking forward to that last Pride and Prejudice video when I get back :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

YAY!!! And I did just get your postcard the other day! It was so nice of you to send it; my Mom in particular thought it was the absolute sweetest thing in the world and she keeps saying, "I like that girl" about you. :)
Me and Lizzie and Darcy are ready for you any time! :)